Ubuntu / Linux news and application reviews.

I decided yesterday to upgrade from Ubuntu Intrepid to Jaunty (Release Candidate). Alt + F2 and typed:
update-manager -d

then i followed the on-screen instructions (nothing much):

photobucket

photobucket

photobucket

and after the restart I only had a few minor issues:

My Amarok was upgraded from 1.4 to 2.0.2 and I had to rescan the music collection and also my custom playlists were gone. I had to drag each playlist into Amarok and then save it again. That fixed one issue.

The second issue was the Compiz effects which were mostly disabled (probably reseted) so i had to re-enable them (but the settings inside the effects were kept, i just had to re-enable them).

The third issue: since i login as root (i don't care what people say, i'm logging in as root for 2-3 years now), VLC cannot work while logged in as root (but that was a issue starting with Intrepid) so i disabled all Jaunty repositories (System > Administration > Software Sources: First tab, uncheck them all), I added Hardy repositories:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main universe multiverse

I then removed my vlc and installed version 0.8.6, then used the synaptic package manager to lock the version (click on a package and go to Package > Lock Version. Also lock additional packages vlc will install.

The last issue (which I could not resolve yet) is that Amarok does not submit my listened tracks to Last.fm. I tried upgrading from version 2.0.2 to 2.1 beta and still nothing but i'm searching for a fix.

Everything runs much smoother on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope and i'm mostly thrilled about the way Firefox is behaving: eats a lot less CPU, runs much better.

There was also some annoying Pidgin notifications every time someone logged in or out, etc which I turned off by going to Pidgin -> Tools -> Plugins and uncheck Libnotify Popups.