Ubuntu / Linux news and application reviews.





I'll start with a quote from the author:

"I have a simple mission: To create an open-source, non-linear video editor for Linux. Many have tried and fallen before me, but for some reason I feel compelled to try myself. I am documenting my journey in this blog for all to read. It will be a dangerous journey, and I might not make it back alive. Hold on tight, and enjoy the ride! By the way, I'm calling this project OpenShot Video Editor!"


OpenShot has too many great features to list them all here but here are a few of them:

  • Support for many video, audio, and image formats (based on FFmpeg)
  • Gnome integration (drag and drop support)
  • Multiple tracks
  • Clip resizing, trimming, snapping, and cutting
  • Video transitions with real-time previews
  • Compositing, image overlays, watermarks
  • Title templates, title creation
  • Solid color clips (including alpha compositing)
  • Support for Rotoscoping / Image sequences
  • Drag and drop timeline
  • Frame stepping, key-mappings: J,K, and L keys
  • Video encoding (based on FFmpeg)

OpenShot Video Editor has not released an "official" version yet and is still under development. But that doesn't mean you can't install it. If you are interested in installing OpenShot (and don't mind a few bugs), download the Build Wizard: https://launchpad.net/openshot/+download.

1) Extract to a folder named ~/openshot_wizard/
2) Open a terminal window
3) $ cd ~/openshot_wizard/
4) $ python install.py

Follow the on-screen instructions... and that's it! The Build Wizard should install an icon on your desktop, and an icon in your Applications > Sound & Video main menu.


OpenShot screenshots:
photobucketphotobucket
photobucketphotobucket
photobucket


OpenShot Video: