Ubuntu / Linux news and application reviews.

Yesterday I made a clean install of Ubuntu Karmic Koala on my PC (btw it's the first clean install since Gutsy) and since I synchronize my Firefox profile with Dropbox, the first thing I needed to do was to make Dropbox work with Ubuntu Karmic Koala beta (9.10). The Dropbox .deb files or the Ubuntu repository do not wotk in Karmic so I had to compile it (thanks to erikoo for the how-to), but don't worry, it only takes about 1 minute. Here's what you need to do:

1. Download the latest Dropbox .tar.gz source files (direct link) and unpack it.

2. Install libnautilus-extension-dev libnotify-dev and python-docutils:
sudo apt-get install libnautilus-extension-dev libnotify-dev python-docutils


3. Go to the folder where you unpacked Dropbox (at step 1) and run the following commands in a terminal:
./configure
make
sudo make install


4. After installing Dropbox, restart Nautilus:
killall nautilus

Then press Alt + F2 and type: nautilus

Now go to Applications > Internet and you should see Dropbox listed there.